Camping is an activity in its own right as well as being additional to whatever else you might be doing outdoors. It can be an exclusive romantic retreat, or a place to sleep and eat, when visiting leisure activities such as touring or biking, horse riding, white water rafting, kayaking, surfing and beach going.
Backpacking tents are one of the best ways to carry on with your adventurous trip to some remote area. When you are away from your home and weather runs out of its mood, you need to have an all-time backpacking tent as a companion that can give you comfortable stay just like home.
There are many different backpacking tents on the market today and choosing can be quite bewildering.
To choose correctly, you will need to evaluate the benefits and features of tents by comparing weight, stability, design and space you personally require. Considering the following points can help make your choice a little easier.
2017’s Top Picks: Best 2-Person Backpacking Tents Below $100
We did an intensive research on various backpacking tent brands before coming up this comprehensive list. These tents are selected based on their affordability, durability and of course comfy.
Without further adieu, lets have a look on these reviews and decide which tent suits your demands as well as budget!
|PRODUCT NAME||FABRIC||WEIGHT(IN POUNDS)||RATINGS|
|Slumberjack Trail Tent 2||Polyester||6 lbs 5 oz||4.5|
|Kelty Yellowstone Tent||Polyester||5 lb 7 oz||4.5|
|Luxe Tempo Backpacking 2 Person Tents||210T Polyester||7 lbs. 7 oz||4.7|
|Alps Mountaineering Taurus 2|
|Polyester||7 lbs. 7 oz.||4.8|
|Eureka Tetragon HD Camping Tent||Polyester||6 lbs 5 oz||4.0|
|Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person Tent|
(Our Top Pick)
|ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent||150D Oxford canvas||5.81 lbs||4.5|
|TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent|
|Snugpak The Ionosphere 1 Man Dome Tent||Nylon and Polyester Mesh||4 lbs||4.5|
|Kelty TN2 Person Tent||75D 185T Polyester||4.6 lbs||4.6|
If you are looking for a comfortable tent for your convenience then this backpack tent, Slumberjack Trail Tent 2 should be your first choice.
This tent is best suited for 2 people. It is easy to assemble. You will just have to give few minutes to complete its set up.
The best part of buying this tent is its Noiseless Zippers. Most of the tents you might have stayed in have zippers that create a lot of noise.
But this Slumberjack 2-person tent comes with noiseless zippers that do not produce any noise when you close or open it.
- Clips are color-coded for easy assembly.
- Brilliantly designed to give maximum space
- Stands freely without any hassle.
- Dimensions in inches: 84 x 52 x 41
This is one of the cost-effective backpack tents that have ample of space for the 2-people.
This is the smallest tent of Yellowstone series that has been designed to make your special moment more special.
Entry door designed in “D” style makes this tent look more appealing. If you are looking for a budgetary tent then go for it.
- You don’t need to get some proficiency to assemble this tent. It is quite easy and you won’t face any issues while assembling.
- Clips are color-coded so that you can assemble it at ease.
- Water-proof tapes do not allow any rain to get inside.
This 2-person tent comes with 2 doors. Made from long-lasting material, this Luxe Tempo Backpacking 2-person tent will stay with you during your journeys. Its water-proof design would protect you from rain.
Side-zippers provided so that you can open or close the doors whenever you need to come put or get into the tent. This is an excellent tent that won’t disappoint you in any way.
- Easy assembly
- Overall quality of fabric used in the construction of this tent is high so you get a value for money tent.
- Water-proof design keeps the tent dry even in the case of heavy rain.
- Light-weight design is easy to carry.
- This bright-color tent is easily visible in the dark.
4. Alps Mountaineering Taurus 2 – (Editor’s Choice)
This Alps Mountaineering Taurus 2-person tent as the name suggests is a perfect tent for mountaineers.
It contains two doors with mesh that can be used when you want to get fresh air from outside. Easy to open and close zippers do not cause fatigue. You can open and close as many times as you want.
This 2-person backpack tent has plenty of space for 2-person. It stands strong in the case of heavy wind so you can stay when heavy wind is running outside the area you have assembled your tent.
- This is a perfect tent for 2-people.
- Ample of space provided.
- Mesh with 2-doors provided so that you can get air and keep mosquitoes way.
- All assembly parts are provided with the standard packaging so you just need to carry the box and you are ready to go.
As the name of this tent, Eureka Tetragon HD, 3-Season Waterproof Family Camping Tent suggests, this tent is suited best for families going on camping.
It is designed using sturdy material so you don’t have to worry about the water-proofing at all.
If budget is an issue for your family, this backpacking tent will last with you long ways. Its weather-proof design makes it best for 3-seasons.
- Large-size doors provided so that your family members, kids, and other people can easily get in and come out of the tent.
- The strength of this tent is worth praising.
- Easy to set-up.
- Enough space provided inside the tent so you can rest peacefully.
6. Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person Tent – (Under $200)
If you are looking for a trendy tent with comfortable design then this one is the right option for you. This backpack tent is easily available in the market.
It is quite easy to assemble and all thanks to the color-coded clips that keep guiding you while you are assembling the tent.
It comes along with the 2-doors so you can open the doors to get fresh air. This will help you to get better view of the weather outside as well. If you have a budget lower than $200 then must go for this, you won’t regret your choice.
- Quite easy to assemble so you don’t have to mess up with the assembly section.
- Color-coded clips keep guiding you.
- Although its design is simple but spacious enough for 2-person.
7. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent – (Under $200)
One of the cheapest and spacious tents that are available these days.
By cheapest, we doesn’t mean low-quality but authentic quality at low-price. If you are carrying this tent with your friend then you will definitely like the tent for the money paid for it.
This ALPS Lynx 2-person tent comes with a window so you can easily see the outdoor view and have fun without stepping outside.
- Spacious tent best suited for 2-person at a time.
- Attachments provided inside the tent to keep your valuable safe. For example, a pocket given inside the tent keeps your sunglasses safe.
- Simple 2-pole construction and your tent is ready.
8. TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent – (Under $200)
This Tenton Sports Mountain is one of the exceptional models of backpacking tents that are available at a very affordable price.
These tents are available in models that can provide shelter from 1 to 4 people depending on the model you chose to buy.
This tent comes with a mesh and ample of space. It protects you from heavy rain, wind, snow, and other natural disturbances that can spoil your trip.
- Models are available that can accommodate 1,2,3, or 4 person.
- Durable fabric quality last with you for years.
- Comes in 1-door for 1-person tent and 2 doors for the rest of the models.
9. Kelty TN2 Person Tent – (Under $200)
When you go to shop a backpack tent, you first look for its compactness.
If you are one of those looking for a compact tent that is light-in weight than this one is made for you. This tent has received many awards from the certified magazines as well.
It comes with “D” style door so that you can easily come out of the tent. Sufficient storage pockets given inside the tent so you can store your valuables easily.
- Aluminum poles allow travelers to pack these tents without any issues.
- Unique clip-tie technology that do not allow your tent to fall in any case.
- It is one of the comfortable tents where you will want to spend more nights in.
10. Snugpak The Ionosphere 1 Man Dome Tent – (Under $200)
This Snugpak Ionosphere 1 Man Dome Tent is one of the famous tents that most people who love to travel alone look for. If you are one of those who are traveling alone, buy this tent today and enjoy its comfort for years.
It comes loaded with ample of space for a single person. There are no chances of any kind of theft so you can expect to have safe stay.
- It is available at a very reasonable price.
- This is a 2-layer, 3-season tent.
- This is not a free-standing tent so you need to assemble it using ground only.
- It comes with a polyurethane coating and that is what makes the tent water-proof.
Things to Consider Before You Invest in a Backpacking Tent
Material: The Material used to construct a tent determines whether the tent would be able to protect you from extreme weather conditions or not.
There are tents made of Nylon, Polyester, Cuben Fiber, Polyurethane, SilNylon, etc. All of these materials decide strength, abrasion-resistance, water-proof, durability, and usage area of a tent.
So, you can choose tents made from these materials depending on your needs and requirements.
Weight: The Weight of the tent is one of the important things that you should consider on priority. Packing a tent into the mountains 20 or 30 miles will end up being a very difficult experience if you have to carry a heavy tent that doesn’t allow you to carry other necessities.
Your tent should be light-enough in weight so that you can easily carry it while you are on the go. Although tents that are light-weight are less spacious but they have been designed keeping your safety standards in view. That makes the old quads feel a little better just thinking about it.
Budget: Well, you don’t have to unnecessarily spend a huge amount of money in buying quality backpacking tent. If you are a frequent traveler and you backpack only some of your essentials then you can go for some lightweight tent that easily fits your wallet size.
Durability: In years past, durability and weight seemed to be a zero sum decision. When one goes up, the other goes down. However, in recent years, backpack tents have become more durable and lighter. No more large canvas for durable tents and no more nylon for tents those are as durable as women’s hosiery.
Size: I’m sure you are thinking that we already discussed this in weight, but just as we talked about before, larger doesn’t necessarily mean heavier.
When backpacking in a group, it is good to pack a larger 2 to 4 person tent instead of everybody taking separate smaller tents. This allows for more packing room, lighter packing and a more efficient experience. If, however, you are the solo packer type, 1-person is usually enough.
Pack ability: I had a tent once that felt like carrying a box more than a tent. It stuck so far out the back and out the side of my pack that I felt I should just bring the wood shed along with it.
Nowadays, you don’t really have to worry about that because most backpack tents are built to be packed, but once in a while, there are those tents that make you feel like you are lugging around a cardboard box full of marbles.
Ease of Setup: There is nothing more frustrating when you are wet, cold, tired, and have to deal with some complicated shelter that makes you wish you had just hauled in a bunch of 2x4s and a hammer to build your shelter. Find a shelter that allows you to set up and break camp quickly
Design: Lastly, it makes a difference when you get to stretch those feet out at the end of the day in that tent or if you have to curl up in a ball. There are still a few backpacking tents out there that seem to be made for your puppy dog instead of you. Make sure that you are getting a sleek tent made for human, especially if you are tall and are getting a 1-person tent.
All of these tents have been built to give extra comfort zone to the travelers while they are away from home. You can select any of the models depending on your requirements.
There are many things to consider when purchasing backpack tents especially depending on where you are backpacking and your style of backpacking. Take a minute to consider the above points to make your camping experience more enjoyable and more comfortable.
Last but not least, Have Fun!