Are you looking to invest in a mountain bike that promises quality at affordable price range?
Finding a decent yet powerful mountain bike under $500 is really a challenging task, you have to spend countless hours to find the gem.
A lot many manufacturers are designing new models of mountain bikes with features similar to the expensive ones. Underline this — Low priced bikes don’t mean low quality.
Instead, the latest technology has introduced aluminum frame that add strength and durability to these lowest priced bikes. These bikes are best suited to entry-level riders. However, It is quite difficult to select the model as per your wallet size.
So, if you are looking for any model that is comfortable, durable, light-weight, safe, and appealing, then check our reviews along with pros and cons of these mountain bikes under 500 dollars to decide easily which model will meet your needs and requirements.
Editor Choice – Top 6 Mountain Bikes under $500
To clear away this confusion, we have come up with the list which will help you to choose the best mountain bike in the mid-range category that won’t break your bank! Here we go…
|Product Name||Type||Rating||Buy At Amazon|
|Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hardtail|
|Merax Finiss 21 Speed Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.8|
|Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike|
|Nashbar Single Speed Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.8|
|Victory-Vegas Jackpot Adult Mountain Bike||Full Suspension||4.6|
|Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.7|
1. Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hardtail – (OUR TOP PICK)
The Diamond Sorrento hardtail is your perfect partner for adventurous rides. Its 27.5 inches sporty wheels are comfortable enough to ride on smooth or dirty paths.
Aluminum frames are durables and make this Diamond bicycle light-weight. Tektro brakes protect the bike from slip and ensure the rider is protected from the immediate stopping details.
80mm suspension fork rides this bike on technical terrains or roads obstructed by pebbles.
- Aluminum frame is solid and light in weight.
- Powerful Shimano derailleur gear system
- Comfortable bicycle for urban riders
- Rear derailleur as shifting issues in both the directions.
- The Front fork is of poor quality and created problems while compressing or rebounding.
- No freewheel tool or wrench provided for assembly in the standard packaging list.
MeraxFiniss Aluminum 21 speed Mountain bike comes loaded with 26-inch wheels and Aluminum frame. This model is a perfect choice for beginners who look for basic features and smart specifications.
Derailleurs and Shifters from Shimano offer reliable shifting solutions. A mind blowing control and better braking thanks to mechanical disc brakes, Also contains 80mm suspension fork for a smoother ride on bumpy roads.
The 21-speed settings for riding this ultimate bike allow the rider to have complete fun thrill on various Mountainair locations. You need to follow instructions from the manual to assemble the bike as it comes 80% assembled and rest 20% need manual help.
- Lightweight Aluminum frame is strong and provides easy speed control.
- Easy to assemble.
- White-red colored design easily attracts the buyer.
- Overall bike quality is good.
- Not suited to riders with 5’10” height.
- Brakes are an issue at times.
3. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike – (Best For Beginners)
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 mtb is perfect for men looking for mountain bikes in 26-inches wheel range. Dual-suspension fork with an aluminum frame offers brilliant features with 24-different speed control. Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters from Shimano improve control and speed to ride this bike in all terrain.
So, If you are looking for a bike for a single track or down hills, then this model is what you should look for.
This mountain bike has built-in full-suspension that offers high-performance bicycle and makes it a perfect choice for adventurous rides.
This model Comes equipped with all-new suspension frames and suspension fork for an ultimate ride even on the toughest terrain.
People from different ages can try riding this bike for different purposes like sightseeing, mountaineering etc. Promax front disc brakes offer safety while riding on all terrains.
- Aluminum suspension frame makes it lightweight
- 24-speed system, Shimano Derailleurs, and shifters are an added advantage of buying this bike.
- Perfect for dirty and dusty trails.
- This sturdy bike is your all-time riding friend.
- Riders find this bike lovable on downhill cycling.
- Low-quality wheels
- Complex adjustments of front fork and suspension.
- No extra space provided to keep your belongings.
This Nashbar 29-inches Mountain bike suits well to the people looking for riding tickets to single-speed parties. The Aluminum frame gives its design light-weight and strength to bear the obstacles like pebbles.
The Design is three times lighter than steel frames, along with weather resistant aluminum frame gives you a choice to enjoy a ride on the rainy season.
The front end of this Mountain Bike comes with a chromoly fork that guarantees to offer smoother ride experience. Tektro Novela made Mechanical disc brakes can handle your instructions and are reliable to understand your stopping details even on sloped areas.
- 29-inches wheels give you easy riding and rolling experience
- Nano sports tires make this model an all-rounder choice.
- Chromoly forks suppress vibrations and add power to ride on complex roads.
- 5’3” is a good height to enjoy a ride on this model.
- Decent appeal makes it a good choice for beginners.
- Cheap quality of Components used at the time of the assembly of this model.
- Brakes are again of low-quality.
Victory-Vegas Jackpot Adult Mountain Bike comes with dual suspension and 26-Inch Wheels. Its aluminum frame lets you enjoy your adventurous ride without applying much of force on the wheels.
The clear difference with other models is noticeable even on the first ride. Aluminum alloy frame used in the construction is durable and makes it a great choice for riding a bicycle on tough terrain.
The Shimano derailleur and 24 different speed mechanisms allow you to ride this model on the hill. This Victor-Vegas Mountain Bike offers high performance and is a true adult mountain bicycle with features like front and rear disc brakes for better speed control. Dual suspension frames ensure less strain is caused by the rider while they riding on a tough terrain.
- The Quality of original wheels is remarkable.
- Shifting is quite solid and smoother.
- Easy to assemble, doesn’t need any Manual reading.
- Brakes quality is poor and rotors alignment is complex.
- Can’t handle obstacle pressure as high as 3-inches.
The Mongoose TYAX hardtail mountain bike is perfect for everyday use—commuting and leisure rides. This is perfect for intermediate riders for men and women who are five feet or taller. Different types of bikes are available according to use (road, riding, mountain and cruiser). Bike is available for whatever budget you have: entry level, mid range and high end bikes are available.
The XC aluminium hardtail frame makes it very lightweight as compared to the standard steel frame. It provides amazing shock absorption on whatever type of terrain, providing smooth ride on rocks, bumps, and rough terrain.
Precise and efficient shifting is ensured with the powerful 27 speed drive train system. The new and efficient Shimano Acera rear and XCR front derailleur shifting system is a whole lot better than an entry level shifting derailleur. The bike was built to handle the toughest mountain trails, across deserts and city roads.
The Mongoose mountain bike arrives at your door that is mostly assembled, and only minor assembling is needed before one can fully ride the mountain bike.
- Comfortable bike for beginners
- 26-inches wheel size is easy to accelerate
- Affordable price gives you the same experience as that of expensive ones
- Riding on rough terrains provides bad experience to the rider
- The breaking system is an issue for some riders.
The Bottom Line
As you can clearly see that we have compiled a brief yet explained the list of top 6 mountain bikes under $500 that can be easily available in the market. Although there are various good mountain bikes in this range, but must be aware that there are plenty of dead ducks too.
Within this price range it’s possible to snag some items which you must need to stay away from. It is advisable to avoid cheap plastic components because they simply aren’t as solid as metal and are liable to rupture quickly.
One more thing I would like to add here is Heavy Frames — Please try to refrain from it, make sure that you are getting a lighter frame bicycle only.
So, what are you waiting from choose your dream model and get ready to ride!