Are you looking to invest in a mountain bike that promises quality at affordable price range?
Finding a decent yet powerful mountain bike under $500 is really a challenging task, you have to spend countless hours to find the gem.
A lot many manufacturers are designing new models of mountain bikes with features similar to the expensive ones. Underline this — Low priced bikes don’t mean low quality.
Instead, the latest technology has introduced aluminum frame that add strength and durability to these lowest priced bikes. These bikes are best suited to entry-level riders. However, It is quite difficult to select the model as per your wallet size.
So, if you are looking for any model that is comfortable, durable, light-weight, safe, and appealing, then check our reviews along with pros and cons of these mountain bikes under 500 dollars to decide easily which model will meet your needs and requirements.
Editor Choice – Top 9 Mountain Bikes under $500
To clear away this confusion, we have come up with the list which will help you to choose the best mountain bike in the mid-range category that won’t break your bank! Here we go…
|PRODUCT NAME||TYPE||RATING||BUY AT AMAZON|
|Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hardtail|
(Our Top Pick)
|Merax Finiss 21 Speed Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.5|
|Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike|
|Nashbar Single Speed Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.6|
|Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er|
|Mongoose TYAX Comp Men’s Mountain Bike||Hardtail||4.7|
|Victory-Vegas Jackpot Bike||Full Suspension||4.5|
|Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1||Hardtail||4.7|
|Diamondback Lux ST Women's Bike||Hardtail||4.4|
1. Diamondback Bicycles Sorrento Hardtail – (OUR TOP PICK)
Whether you’re looking for an exciting way to get in shape, or you simply want to get outside and enjoy some fresh air and fun, bike riding is an excellent way to achieve both.
There are many styles and types of bikes to choose from. The first thing you will need to do is decide what kind of riding you would like to do. If you’d like to ride on paved roads and go fast, you may want to consider getting a road bike.
If you’d rather tackle some off-road trails, a mountain bike such as the Diamondback Sorrento would definitely be the way to go. This mountain bike has a very good value because of its high end frame design and mid range components.
The 6061-T6 frame is robust and is made out of aluminum along with shimano 7-speed rear and 3-speed front derailleur that provides excellent gearing adjustment to this bike in any conditions. Its 27.5 inches sporty wheels are comfortable enough to ride on smooth or dirty paths.
The design of its top tube is derived from all the high end mountain bikes that diamondback has designed and other specialized bikes. This is available in a variety of sizes including extra small, small, medium, large and even extra large.
Diamondback Sorrento is worth every penny and will not give you any problem in upgrading as its parts and components are widely available in bike shops and online.
All in all it is a great bike for beginners and intermediate fun seekers, and the best part is, the health benefits are completely free!
- Aluminum frame is solid and light in weight.
- Powerful Shimano derailleur gear system
- Comfortable bicycle for urban riders
- Rear derailleur as shifting issues in both the directions.
- The Front fork is of poor quality and created problems while compressing or rebounding.
- No freewheel tool or wrench provided for assembly in the standard packaging list.
MeraxFiniss Aluminum 21 speed Mountain bike comes loaded with 26-inch wheels and Aluminum frame. This model is a perfect choice for beginners who look for basic features and smart specifications.
Derailleurs and Shifters from Shimano offer reliable shifting solutions. A mind blowing control and better braking thanks to mechanical disc brakes, Also contains 80mm suspension fork for a smoother ride on bumpy roads.
The 21-speed settings for riding this ultimate bike allow the rider to have complete fun thrill on various Mountainair locations. You need to follow instructions from the manual to assemble the bike as it comes 80% assembled and rest 20% need manual help.
- Lightweight Aluminum frame is strong and provides easy speed control.
- Easy to assemble.
- White-red colored design easily attracts the buyer.
- Overall bike quality is good.
- Not suited to riders with 5’10” height.
- Brakes are an issue at times.
3. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Bike – (Best For Beginners)
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 bike is perfect for men looking for mountain bikes in 26-inches wheel range. Dual-suspension fork with an aluminum frame offers brilliant features with 24-different speed control. Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters from Shimano improve control and speed to ride this bike in all terrain.
So, If you are looking for a bike for a single track or down hills, then this model is what you should look for.
This mountain bike has built-in full-suspension that offers high-performance bicycle and makes it a perfect choice for adventurous rides.
This model Comes equipped with all-new suspension frames and suspension fork for an ultimate ride even on the toughest terrain.
People from different ages can try riding this bike for different purposes like sightseeing, mountaineering etc. Promax front disc brakes offer safety while riding on all terrains.
- Aluminum suspension frame makes it lightweight
- 24-speed system, Shimano Derailleurs, and shifters are an added advantage of buying this bike.
- Perfect for dirty and dusty trails.
- This sturdy bike is your all-time riding friend.
- Riders find this bike lovable on downhill cycling.
- Low-quality wheels
- Complex adjustments of front fork and suspension.
- No extra space provided to keep your belongings.
The Diamondback Recoil 29er is a solid full mountain bike for beginners to intermediate trail riders that can be ridden on various types of terrain, from light DH trails to XC tracks, and it will hold out pretty well.
It is fitted with a 6061 T-6 aluminum alloy frame and 100Mm SR suntour suspension fork. The Recoil 29er has Shimano 3×8 speed drivetrain which will allow you to fly along the trails, while the Tetra Aires mechanical disc brakes provides you excellent stopping power.
This Bike with 29 inches wheels take you through rough to smooth surfaces without any hassle. It is best suited for riders who love to ride on adventurous routes with their friends.
A perfect bike for entry level commuters who want to get into mountain biking, however, not for experienced bikers who want to get into racing. Overall it is a great bike for its value and is one of top 3 mountain bikes under $500 that you can buy.
- Durable Aluminum frame
- Great bike for beginner riders
- Mechanical disc brakes give you strength to stop this bike anywhere.
- Value for money bike
- Seat could have more comfortable
- Doesn’t come pre-assembled, so you need mechanical assistance
This Nashbar 29-inches Mountain bike suits well to the people looking for riding tickets to single-speed parties. The Aluminum frame gives its design light-weight and strength to bear the obstacles like pebbles.
The Design is three times lighter than steel frames, along with weather resistant aluminum frame gives you a choice to enjoy a ride on the rainy season.
The front end of this Mountain Bike comes with a chromoly fork that guarantees to offer smoother ride experience. Tektro Novela made Mechanical disc brakes can handle your instructions and are reliable to understand your stopping details even on sloped areas.
- 29-inches wheels give you easy riding and rolling experience
- Nano sports tires make this model an all-rounder choice.
- Chromoly forks suppress vibrations and add power to ride on complex roads.
- 5’3” is a good height to enjoy a ride on this model.
- Decent appeal makes it a good choice for beginners.
- Cheap quality of Components used at the time of the assembly of this model.
- Brakes are again of low-quality.
Victory-Vegas Jackpot Adult Mountain Bike comes with dual suspension and 26-Inch Wheels. Its aluminum frame lets you enjoy your adventurous ride without applying much of force on the wheels.
The clear difference with other models is noticeable even on the first ride. Aluminum alloy frame used in the construction is durable and makes it a great choice for riding a bicycle on tough terrain.
The Shimano derailleur and 24 different speed mechanisms allow you to ride this model on the hill. This Victor-Vegas Mountain Bike offers high performance and is a true adult mountain bicycle with features like front and rear disc brakes for better speed control. Dual suspension frames ensure less strain is caused by the rider while they riding on a tough terrain.
- The Quality of original wheels is remarkable.
- Shifting is quite solid and smoother.
- Easy to assemble, doesn’t need any Manual reading.
- Brakes quality is poor and rotors alignment is complex.
- Can’t handle obstacle pressure as high as 3-inches.
The Mongoose TYAX hardtail mountain bike is perfect for everyday use—commuting and leisure rides. This is perfect for intermediate riders from men to women who are five feet or taller.
The XC aluminium hardtail frame makes it very lightweight as compared to the standard steel frame. It provides amazing shock absorption on whatever type of terrain, providing smooth ride on rocks, bumps, and rough terrain.
Precise and efficient shifting is ensured with the powerful 27 speed drive train system. The new and efficient Shimano Acera rear and XCR front derailleur shifting system is a whole lot better than an entry level shifting derailleur. The bike was built to handle the toughest mountain trails, across deserts and city roads.
The bike budget suits to everyone : entry level, mid range and high end bikes are available, so you get freedom to pick your dream bike in an affordable range.
The Mongoose mountain bike arrives at your door that is mostly assembled, and only minor assembling is needed before one can fully ride the bike.
- Comfortable bike for beginners
- 26-inches wheel size is easy to accelerate
- Affordable price gives you the same experience as that of expensive ones
- Riding on rough terrains provides bad experience to the rider
- The breaking system is an issue for some riders.
Raleigh does more than road bikes, and all you off-road riders will fall in love with Raleigh’s mountain bikes. Every other person doesn’t go for Mountain Bikes. However, if you are really a sporty person and want to take your adventurous experience to the next level, then you must buy this Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike.
This Mountain bike is well-designed with Aluminum frame that makes it a light-weight model in this price range.
The lightweight AL-6061 SL custom butted aluminum frames can take any abuse you can dish out, along with 120mm SR Sun tour XCM fork that are built to last. The reliable Tektro hydraulic disc brake gives this bike a powerful braking ability.
This model will definitely bring a smile on your face when you pedal with your friends and family members, thanks to its wide Kenda Honey badger tires.
As a matter of fact, this Raeigh Tokul 1 has all the things which you want in an intermediate level mountain bike, which costs below $500. So, If you want a dreamy-smooth ride that says performance, Raleigh Tokul 1 is an excellent choice.
- Highly efficient mountain Bike
- Easy to pedal while on flat surface or while climbing uphill
- Light-weight Auminum frame design
- Hydraulic disc brakes are all powerful and stop your bike whenever required.
- A mid-range bike for XC rides, not for racing
- Lack of customer service
Women’s get ready to ride an amazing Mountain Bike that has been specifically designed keeping interests of women in view. If you are really looking forward to going on biking with your affable friends, then buy this model.
This Mountain Bike equipped with all-powerful Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes that stops your bicycle whenever you want to stop, irrespective of the road conditions.
You will always feel as if you are moving on a neutral road when you ride this bike. This model is perfect for beginners so if you are new to Mountain Biking, you must buy this bike to gain experience ensuring your safety as your prime concern.
Ride this bike with confidence and free yourself from the everyday tensions and stress.
- Aluminum frame construction
- Light-weight design
- Its length and size easily fits most of the woman.
- While freewheeling rear wheel make a bit noise
- This model comes semi-assembled so you need to spend some time to assemble it to 100%.
The Bottom Line
As you can clearly see that we have compiled a brief yet explained the list of top 6 mountain bikes under $500 that can be easily available in the market. Although there are various good mountain bikes in this range, but must be aware that there are plenty of dead ducks too.
Within this price range it’s possible to snag some items which you must need to stay away from. It is advisable to avoid cheap plastic components because they simply aren’t as solid as metal and are liable to rupture quickly.
One more thing I would like to add here is Heavy Frames — Please try to refrain from it, make sure that you are getting a lighter frame bicycle only.
So, what are you waiting from choose your dream model and get ready to ride!